Welcome Message From the Head Teacher
We are all very excited to meet you properly in September, which will be the start of an exciting and challenging few years, it is time where we will see you grow and develop as young people. My staff and I will be there every step of the way to get the best from you.
Poltair has been through an amazing transformation in the last few years, with lots more to come. The school is a very welcoming place with lots and lots of opportunities for you to try new things. I am a advocate for getting involved in lots of new activities to challenge yourself.
Our new school day will give you something even more special, with even more time to get involved in all the fun activities that you may have missed over the past few years in primary school.
I firmly believe that the more you put into school the more you get out of it and we will all be encouraging you to get involved as much as you can.
See you in September if not before at one of our events.
Welcome Message From the Head of Year 7 & Transition Lead
Welcome to our Year 6 to Year 7 Transition page and thank you for choosing us. As a student, your child will be expected to work hard at all times and to always do their best. We strive to ensure that all learners feel happy and safe through promoting a love of learning.
The school has high expectations on behaviour, attendance, punctuality and appearance. Our students are expected to be polite, respectful and helpful and to wear their uniform with pride. Poltair School is an exciting place to be and I hope to welcome you into our school community in person on the transition evening on Monday 4th July.
Welcome from Current Year 7 Students
Firstly, we would like to welcome you to Poltair School. We hope that your time here will be filled with memorable experiences that will stay with you for a very long time. You are joining an amazing school with kind and caring staff and there is so much for you to look forward to.
The school may seem large and scary but believe us, after a week or two you will know Poltair like the back of your hand. With help from a few friendly faces and staff, your transition will be stress free and enjoyable. We have managed to settle quickly into our secondary school life and have already created some memories with lots of new friends.
Your next five years at Poltair will fulfil your wishes including academically, sports, competitions and performing arts. Our advice to you would be to push yourself out of your comfort zone to try as many new activities as you can to enrich your time at Poltair.
You are about to be introduced to so many helpful students and staff who are willing to make you feel as comfortable as possible. If you need to talk to someone about any issues or suggestions, please do not hesitate to ask the staff or one of the TALLs ambassadors.
We hope you enjoy your time here at Poltair as much as we are and we look forward to seeing you in September.
Transition Staff Profiles
Transition Programme 2021-22
- To reassure Year 6 students about their transition to Poltair School and prepare them for secondary school life.
- Support parents and provide them with all the information they need throughout the transition process.
- To gather relevant information from all our feeder primary schools about each student joining Poltair School in September 2022.
Poltair School believes that it is imperative that Year 6 students have a positive move into Year 7. It is vital that they feel confident and equipped to make the transition into the school at the start of the academic year. We feel that to achieve a positive transition, parents should be fully informed about the process; therefore, we have put together a timetable of the process below.
- March – Welcome letter from Poltair School
- April – Contact made with Primary Schools to support transition
- May – SEND visits conducted
- June – Primary School visits made by the transition team
- July – Transition Days at Poltair School on Monday 4th and Tuesday 5th July.
(parents transition evening on 4th)
- August – Transition Summer School (Dates to be confirmed)
- September – Start secondary school
- October – Year 7 Tutor Evening (Date TBC)
|General Transition enquiries||[email protected]|
|Mr Lee Adams – Head of Year 7 and Transition Lead||[email protected]|
|Mrs Claire Harvey – Year 7 Pastoral Support Manager||[email protected]|
|Miss Emma Moore – Primary Transition Support||[email protected]|
|Mrs Heidi Spurgeon – Student Services Manager & DSL||[email protected]|
|Miss Kim Taylor – SENDCo||[email protected]|
Information for Parents & Students
Poltair Uniform Price List (As of January 2022 – new pricing to released Summer 2022)
Map of the school
Transition resources for parents and students
(parents/carers may find the following resources useful)
- Transition resources for Year 6 students
- Transition resources for Year 6 students and parents
- BBC Bitesize: Year 6 transition
- BBC Bitesize: Celebrity tips for starting secondary school
- BBC Bitesize: Supporting a child moving to secondary school with Dr Radha
- BBC Bitesize: First day nerves – how to prepare, keep calm and carry on
- BBC Bitesize: Starting secondary school
- Anna Freud Centre Mentally Healthy Schools – Transition to secondary school
- Transition Mission: Start Now Cornwall
- 2021 DfE Super Sixes Report