Welcome To Poltair
Welcome to the Poltair School website. I hope that it provides you with a comprehensive introduction to our values, expectations and ways of working.
Poltair has this week been supporting the National Anti-Bullying Week campaign. The theme has focussed on 'e safety' making students more aware of the positive aspects of using the internet and the negative side that can sometimes lead to internet bullying. Guest speakers have been in school giving students in-depth advice and guidance on this matter. PC Nigel Hyde talked about the implications of cyber-bullying, how to report bullying and deal with it. Marie Blackbeard from the County School Nurse Service, looked at student physical and emotional well-being. Poltair School is now offering a... Read More...
A Comment From The Headteacher
Smart Dress Does Mean Smart Learning
Around this time of year, when the weather becomes autumnal, the wind blows, the temperature drops and, being Cornwall, it starts to rain, a typical conversation could be heard at the school gate. "Where are your school shoes?"
"I've got a note", comes the reply.
Of course the note is a good thing. A courteous explanation from the parent as to why their son and daughter is not in their full uniform is helpful and is to be encouraged.
"So, what does the note say then?" asks the teacher on duty.
"My shoes got wet yesterday."
At this point, the conversation is likely to explore why the shoes were not dried overnight. There will be an enquiry as to whether the youngster has a spare pair of shoes. It is at moments like this that we can be accused of being overly harsh or too strict. I have even heard the comment, "well surely how they (the pupils) are dressed makes no difference to how well they work?" It is probably best not to try this one; I will bring out the statistics matching the issuing of detentions for uniform indiscretions with examination results. Smart dress does mean smart learning!
The school's stance is reasonably simple. Setting standards high is something the school actively does and being pretty uncompromising about this is something we have been lauded for. Actually, the pupils like being smart. Every day they gather outside of my office looking at the historical trail of Year 11 photographs and comment on how the school has smartened up over time.
So, while we are on the matter and just to be clear. Hoodies are hoodies and are not part of the school uniform. Ties are designed to be worn to and from school - that is when the public of St Austell are looking at our pupils and forming an opinion, probably based on their uniform and their behaviour, as to how good Poltair School is. We do want the children to be dry and warm and would like all of them to have a proper outdoor coat. It helps if items of uniform are labelled; then, if something does get lost, it is easy to return the clothing to the rightful owner.
Many thanks for all of your support is this matter.
Comment From The Headteacher Archive
- 10 Oct 2013 - Honest, Friendly, Rapidly Improving
- 11 Sep 2013 - A New School Year
- 05 Sep 2013 - Fifth Year Of Record Breaking Examination Success At Poltair School
- 08 Mar 2013 - Changing Times
- 08 Mar 2013 - Changing Times
- 28 Aug 2012 - GCSE Results 2012 - The Best Yet!
- 11 May 2012 - Positive Feedback From The Community
- 24 Feb 2012 - A Week No Less Ordinary Than Any Other
- 02 Dec 2011 - Year 7 STEM Day
- 28 Nov 2011 - Industrial Action - 30 November
- 18 Nov 2011 - Strike Action 30 November
- 14 Oct 2011 - Pearl of Africa At Poltair School
- 16 Sep 2011 - The Beginning Of A Busy New School Year At Poltair
- 01 Jul 2011 - House System
- 24 Jun 2011 - Football Success For Dan Marks
- 17 Jun 2011 - Timings Of The School Day
- 06 Jun 2011 - Pearl of Africa Children's Choir
- 27 May 2011 - School Uniform
- 20 May 2011 - Ten Tors Success
- 13 May 2011 - A Word Or Two On Detentions
- 01 Apr 2011 - Changes for Next Year
- 25 Mar 2011 - BBC News School Event
- 18 Mar 2011 - Discussion Regarding Uniform
- 11 Mar 2011 - Having A Choice And Getting It Right
- 04 Mar 2011 - Changes For Next Year
- 04 Feb 2011 - Open Mornings
- 17 Dec 2010 - Christmas Thoughts, Christmas Cheer, Christmas Best Wishes
- 10 Dec 2010 - Getting Better On The Buses
- 03 Dec 2010 - Sports College And Sport Partnerhip
- 12 Nov 2010 - Rejoice In Life
- 22 Oct 2010 - Student Council Election Day
- 15 Oct 2010 - Open Days
- 08 Oct 2010 - Setting Targets All Week
- 01 Oct 2010 - Immensely Positive Message
- 24 Sep 2010 - Important Week In The School Calendar
- 17 Sep 2010 - Examination Success At Poltair School